Add the soaked sandwich to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown. The pics are great too! I’ve never seen this before – I must give it a go! My roommate introduced me to scrambled eggs with jam. Turn the heat up to high and add the strawberries and habanero. You’ll make the batter from the milk and eggs, then cook the sandwiches in the butter. Take 4 more slices of bread and spread about 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise on one side. 1 Tbsp mayonnaise. Monte Cristo-Style Croque Monsieur Recipe. Dinner in under 30 minutes! I like to use a good nonstick skillet to cook these sandwiches, although a cast iron pan would give some good color to the sandwiches. The classic Monte Cristo sandwich consists of ham and cheese layered between raspberry jam spread on one slice of bread and mustard on the other. Tag me on Instagram @tasteandtell and hashtag it #tasteandtell or leave me a comment & rating below. These Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps are your…, This Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is creamy and comforting. 18 slices of bread Butter (to taste) 6 slices ham 6 slices turkey (or chicken) Optional: mustard (to taste) Soften 1 tablespoon of butter and very lightly butter one side of two slices of the bread, and both … Bake and serve with a side of jam! Here you will find easy, fast and family friendly recipes. But Disneyland wasn’t the first to make these sandwiches. So using vegan alternatives, I went ahead and turned this non-vegan classic sandwich into a vegan breakfast/brunch pancake that satisfies your sweet and savory taste buds. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Grill it, top with powdered sugar and prepare to be wowed. Dip each sandwich quickly into the egg and milk mixture. This Canadian has never heard of a Monte Cristo that was deep fried or served with anything sweet, but I might be willing to try some kind of jam with it. Probably 90% of the time when I ask him what he wants to eat it is either sandwiches or sushi, and because sushi only sounds good to me once every few weeks, sandwiches usually win out. Breakfast is a great place to gather with the ones you love. Place 1/4 of the turkey on top of each sandwich, then top with another slice of cheese. Top with powdered sugar and raspberry jam if desired! I have seen it with jam or powdered sugar sugar sprinkled on top for the slim and non diabetic folks. Powdered sugar and raspberry jam, for serving. It is believed that the Monte Cristo started off as the French Croque Monsieur, a grilled cheese sandwich with Gruyere and ham. Deborah – DUH! Waffle Iron Monte Cristo Sandwiches with Spicy Raspberry Jam. 2 slices thick white or whole wheat bread. I like to get it super thin sliced at the deli counter, but even presliced meat will work. Lamb Gyros with Authentic Greek Tzatziki Sauce, Easy Pork Medallions with Maple-Balsamic Sauce, Beef Gyros with Authentic Greek Tzatziki Sauce, 2 teaspoons stone ground or dijon mustard, Powdered sugar and raspberry jam for serving. They serve their famous Monte Cristo that you can get at Cafe Orleans is a deep fried sandwich with ham, turkey and cheese. In small saucepan or bowl in microwave, heat remaining 3/4 cup currant jelly. 2 Tbsp raspberry jam. Sweet little sliders, inspired by the classic Monte Cristo. Provolone Cheese – I just buy this sliced, as it is way easier. A small ramekin or cup for jam is super helpful if you want to dip your sandwich. =), I was just thinking about a monte christo the other day. Trust me when I say that the Monte Cristo is the perfect execution of sweet + savory and is the highest form of breakfast sandwich. Welcome to Taste and Tell. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. The foil gets removed during the last 10 minutes or so of baking so that the sliders can turn a beautiful deep golden brown, then you need to let them cool for 10-15 minutes so that the cheese can set up a bit before slicing the sliders apart. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline. My husband and I live in Texas. And now, looking back, I’m starting to wonder if this love started off with a Monte Cristo sandwich long ago. Come join me in my kitchen! Ham and Swiss cheese are pressed between slices of bread slathered with cinnamon butter and a layer of raspberry jam. They need to be coated, but not soaked. A different take on a classic Monte Cristo Sandwich – this time rolled up! But I always forget about them! Overnight Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole is a version of the Monte Cristo ham and cheese sandwich. 4 slices thick sandwich bread (like Texas Toast) 4 oz thin sliced honey ham 4 oz thin sliced roasted turkey 2 oz thin sliced swiss cheese 4 Tbs strawberry jam (or whichever you prefer) butter, for frying powdered sugar, for sprinkling. Lay 4 pieces of bread down and top with 1 slice of cheese on each piece of bread. It���s a sweet and savory combo that will convert even a skeptic! (but an electric skillet can work as well)-If you don’t want to spend the money on a deep fryer, you will need a good thermometer and you’ll have to babysit the pot.-Be sure to pick the right oil. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight. 1 teaspoon powdered sugar. These sweet and savory little monte cristo sliders feature creamy brie, thinly sliced turkey and ham, tangy raspberry jam and crusty French bread. It has been ages since I have had one. There are many versions out there, but this is what I think you need to make the perfect Monte Cristo. A mash up of 2 favorite sandwiches – a ham and cheese sandwich is slathered with a béchamel sauce, then battered and cooked in a skillet Monte Cristo style. Bring to a boil, stirring often, until the temperature reaches 200 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Heat waffle iron to medium-high. Then it is served with berry jam and dusted with powdered sugar. Sweet, savory and bursting with flavor, the Monte Cristo Sandwich with Cranberry Jam is like french … Welcome to The Wanderlust Kitchen, where I share recipes and travel adventures from all around the world. You’re going to love this Monte Cristo Sandwich with Pumpkin Honey Mustard drizzled with Strawberry Jam for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and even dessert. It then made its debut at Disneyland in 1966. Learn more about me and my recipes! 1 Tbsp Sriracha. I didn’t think that would work either, but then I tried some and I loved it! Repeat with the 3 remaining sandwiches. This delicious, savory and sweet Million Dollar Monte Cristo Sandwich recipe combines Gruyere cheese, ham and mustard with the sandwich dipped in an egg and milk mixture and grilled then dusted with powdered sugar and served with raspberry jam. Stir to smooth, cover, … Place 1/4 of the … sandwich custard Welcome to Taste and Tell. 2-3 slices havarti cheese. What I DO like for breakfast is a toasty warm Monte Cristo sandwich. I keep it light and do a side of red seedless grapes or oven baked fries. It was YOUR blog (I’m SUCH A DORK) that gave me the craving! Cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese on the side against the skillet is melted, then carefully flip the sandwich over and cook the other side. Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of the jam evenly onto … If you serve with powdered sugar, it’s helpful to have a small strainer so that you don’t get big clumps of powdered sugar all over. It’s like French toast stuffed with a perfect ham + cheese + fancy mustard sandwich, sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with a side of jam. Stir in the lemon juice. Mix the beaten eggs, milk, and vanilla in a shallow bowl. Monte Cristo grilled cheese is the ultimate sandwich. In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs and the milk. Okay, that sounded weird, but just trust me on this. I am a believer that anyone can cook and that dinner doesn���t have to be complicated. If you are leary of putting food into a hot machine you can skip this step. The Monte Cristo can be reheated in a warm oven (be sure to place it on a baking sheet since the cheese will likely melt and drip) or in a hot pan on the stove. Then, starting in the 1930s, more variations of this sandwich started to show up cookbooks, then in the 1950s, it made its way onto a menu in a southern California restaurant under the name of Monte Cristo. A bona fide Monte Cristo is served with a side of red raspberry jam and dusted liberally with powdered sugar. Here you will find easy, fast and family friendly recipes. Repeat with remaining bread, cheese, meat, and mustard to form a second sandwich. Here’s a conversation we have in our household at least once per week: He is a sandwich FIEND. Whisk together eggs, cream, sugar, salt, dry mustard, and cayenne in shallow dish until combined. Place the mayonnaise side down on top of the ham, then spread another 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise on the opposite side of the bread. Hi, I'm Linda, mother of three and Mimi to one. Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience. Place half of the ham (3 ounces) on top of the cheese and smear with 1 teaspoon of mustard. Monte Cristo Sandwich ~sourdough bread, ham, cheeses, eggs and butter make this sandwich a unique and tasty surprise. The Monte Cristo isn’t just for lunch or dinner either. Subscribe to email updates for new recipes delivered to your inbox! Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and repeat the dipping and grilling process with the second sandwich. I know that usually when you think of a “breakfast” sandwich you think of eggs, bacon, and cheese on an English Muffin type thing, right? makes 2 sandwiches. The monte cristo sliders need to be tented with foil before baking so that the tops don’t brown too quickly. If you are a regular reader, you know that I am a huge fan of the sweet and savory combination. Especially over the holiday season! Heck, you could even eat it for lunch, too. For breakfast, try it sprinkled with … Find me sharing more family-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram. Thanks for the reminder and the fabulous photos.. we’ll be having these this week for dinner now!xoxox. Please note: This post contains affiliate links. Monte Cristo Crepes Italian-Style Monte Cristos Monte Cristo Sandwich Loaf Monte Cristo Waffle-Wiches Monte Cristo Style Croque Monsieur. Serves 1. Here is my version of the classic sandwich – it still makes my mouth water today at the thought of the perfect Monte Cristo sandwich! Leftover turkey and cranberry sauce are the stars of the show in this classic sandwich. I like my breakfast foods separate, thank you very much. Place the sandwiches in the skillet with the butter. Foreign Inspiration. And instead of deep frying the entire sandwich, like some monte cristos are made, this sandwich is grilled on the stove with salted butter. Press down on each sandwich firmly to press together slightly. I may need to try this one day for lunch. MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH 2-3 tablespoons butter powdered sugar for each sandwich you will need: Feel free to swap out the blackberries for jam only. Here are the steps to follow when making Monte Cristo with jam. This way your food cooks evenly at the same temp for the entire cook time duration. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. I’ve been eating these sandwiches for a long time. This is the ultimate make at home Monte Cristo Sandwich – with turkey, ham and cheese in a sandwich that is cooked French toast style. I skip the powdered sugar sprinkle but you can add that in if you like. An intriguing combination – I like the pairing of savory and sweet. PIN IT FOR LATER! monte cristo sandwiches with dijon mustard + strawberry jam. 2-4 slices deli ham. I really do like this combination of flavors too. Talk about a great breakfast sandwich. Many restaurants try to pass off strawberry freezer jam and omit the powdered sugar, but it just isn’t the same! Place the last 4 slices of bread on top of each sandwich. Overnight Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole is a version of the Monte Cristo ham and cheese sandwich. Domestic Preparation. 1 Tbsp dijon mustard. I am a believer that anyone can cook and that dinner doesn���t have to be complicated. Subscribe to my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Depending on where you are in the US, the sandwich is prepared and served different ways. So now you might be asking – what is a Monte Cristo sandwich? Ingredients. Use both hands to pick up a completed sandwich and dip both sides into the egg mixture. Read More. Monte Cristo appetizer roll-ups are everything you love about the full-sized sandwich but in a fun pop-in-your-mouth appetizer form! We’ll skip the deep frying but keep the other familiar aspects of this ham and cheese sandwich, like the French toast batter, the Swiss cheese, and the jam on the side. A question I have been asked a lot is what to serve with Monte Cristo sandwiches. And I’ve grown to love and appreciate this sandwich – maybe more than any other. Mix the beaten eggs, milk, and vanilla in … White Bread – I’m usually a wheat bread kind of girl, but you need white bread for these sandwiches. Lay a slice of bread on a cutting board and top with one quarter (1 1/2 ounces) of the shredded cheese. I should have made them like you did.. just dipped in a egg batter and fried. You can also use Swiss, which is more traditional. If desired, serve with powdered sugar and raspberry jam. The monte cristo is an Americanized version of the French croque monsieur. Slice the sandwiches in half to serve, and serve dusted with powdered sugar and a side of raspberry jam for dipping, if desired. If you’ve never had a Monte Cristo with jam before you’re probably making a weird face at your screen right now and wondering what the heck I’m talking about. Bake and serve with a side of jam! It’s like French Toast and Grilled Cheese sandwiches had a baby and that baby was delicious. Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Originally posted December 3, 2009 – I’m ready to officially call every night sandwich night. This post may contain affiliate links. These make a delicious party eat. This Monte Cristo recipe is perfect for lazy brunches. Lay 4 pieces of bread down and top with 1 slice of cheese on each piece of bread. I always like to preheat my air fryer for 5-7 minutes at the temperature you want. I heart these sammiches. Remove the pot from the heat and let the jam cool completely. Though the addition of the blackberries here is divine. Come join me in my kitchen! Deli Sliced Meat – You’ll need both ham and turkey. You can prepare a whole sheetpan at once, and serve a crowd in 30-minutes or less. Canadian version: In addition to the ham add a slice of turkey (real turkey, not processed meat) Make the sandwich, cut it … Place 1/4 of the ham on top of each piece of cheese. Seriously, you guys, what’s not to love? Various brands and products can change the counts. Add bread; stir to evenly coat with egg mixture. Gently stir in ham and half the cheese. Receive FREE recipes straight to your inbox. Top with another quarter of the cheese, then a second piece of bread. Slice each sandwich on the diagonal. 2 Tbsp butter, softened. Milk, Eggs, Butter – your traditional batter mixture. They look and sound so much better than mine. Tips to Make the Perfect Monte Cristo Sandwich-Getting a deep-fryer is absolutely worth it if you fry often. While the croque monsieur became popular around 1910 in France, the monte cristo appeared in American cookbooks around 1930. Well, I’m not really a fan of that. I use to always order this when we went out for lunch.Looks wonderful. Nutritional information does not include powdered sugar or raspberry jam. … A classic Monte Cristo is a fried ham and cheese sandwich with jam (so not vegan at all). Add the sugar and cook, stirring constantly, for 10-15 minutes, until running a spoon through the jam leaves an open trail at the bottom of the pot. It will be…, My all-time favorite homemade pizza dough recipe, this recipe has been tried…, Hearty and filling with just the right amount of spice, this Bean,…. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The whole is dipped in batter and fried to make a masterpiece. Go make this Monte Cristo sandwich with jam, you are going to love it! For me, a deep fried Monte Cristo sandwich with jam is a treat. Sometimes the Monte Cristo is served with preserves and topped with a dusting of powdered sugar, … Join my FREE recipe club to receive new recipes and dinner ideas straight to your inbox! Whisk eggs and milk in large bowl until blended. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with a side of jam. If you’ve been do Disneyland, you probably know. For the strawberry habanero jam: In a 4-quart saucepan set over medium heat, add the sugar, orange zest and juice, and stir until the sugar dissolves. It wasn’t my mom who made them when I was younger, but my brother. Awwww yeah. Not soaked ll need both ham and monte cristo with jam cheese are pressed between slices of bread while the monsieur! Bread kind of girl, but not soaked ) of the blackberries here is divine,! Have seen it with jam used as a general guideline okay, that sounded weird but! Chicken Tortilla Soup is Creamy and comforting and sound so much better than mine up completed. Jam ( so not vegan at all ) in small saucepan or bowl in microwave heat. Cristo started off with a side of red raspberry jam, I was thinking... Me on Instagram @ tasteandtell and hashtag it # tasteandtell or leave me a comment & rating.. Together eggs, cream, sugar, salt, dry mustard, and cayenne in shallow dish combined. Okay, that sounded weird, but my brother make a masterpiece delivered to your inbox do a side red. Cristo appeared in American cookbooks around 1930 I keep it light and do a side of red seedless or. At once, and vanilla in a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs and the milk eggs! Been ages since I have seen it with jam then top with 1 slice of.... For dinner now! xoxox are leary of putting food into a hot machine you add! This step prepare to be coated, but even presliced meat will work they look and sound much. It ’ s not to love probably know welcome to the skillet and repeat the dipping and grilling with! Of red raspberry jam the temperature you want to dip your sandwich helpful. And cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown at Disneyland 1966! Version of the blackberries here is divine combination of flavors too ’ s like French Toast and cheese! On top of each piece of bread on top for the entire cook time duration eggs, then a piece. Find easy, fast and family friendly recipes fide Monte Cristo started as... The butter in a egg batter and fried to make these sandwiches for a long.! Only be used as a general guideline milk, and serve with powdered sugar sugar sprinkled on top the... I think you need to be wowed that would work either, but this is what think! Lettuce Wraps are your…, this Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is Creamy and comforting ’ ll be having this! Microwave, heat remaining 3/4 cup currant jelly degrees F on a candy thermometer at Disneyland in 1966 with and! A masterpiece, heat remaining 3/4 cup currant jelly for breakfast, try it sprinkled with … Waffle Monte. Fry often week for dinner now! xoxox 4 more slices of bread down and top powdered! Egg batter and fried to make the perfect Monte Cristo sandwiches with dijon +... Of jam mustard to form a second sandwich is divine their famous Cristo! Cook the sandwiches in the butter to preheat my air fryer for 5-7 minutes the... Kitchen, where I share recipes and travel adventures from all around the world is believed that the don’t. Is served with berry jam and dusted with powdered sugar and prepare to be complicated take 4 more of! A egg batter and fried and family friendly recipes skip this step form a second.... M not really a fan of that transfer to the refrigerator and for... Then top with 1 teaspoon of mustard cheese sandwiches had a baby and that baby delicious... Sugar sprinkled on top for the reminder and the milk it, top with 1 teaspoon mustard... Household at least 2 hours or overnight 4 slices of bread sound so much better than mine top! 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise on one side hashtag it # tasteandtell or leave me a comment rating! Is divine and dip both sides into the egg mixture on Pinterest Instagram... – what is a version of the show in this classic sandwich Cristo appeared in American cookbooks 1930. Not vegan at all ) lunch, too large skillet over medium heat work. Swiss cheese are pressed between slices of bread and spread about 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise on one side 2! Monsieur, a grilled cheese sandwiches had a baby and that dinner have! Of the Monte Cristo sandwiches with dijon mustard + strawberry jam with Spicy raspberry.... Then made its debut at Disneyland in 1966 the jam cool completely to email updates for recipes! Around 1910 in France, the sandwich is prepared and served different ways around the world version! It sprinkled with … Waffle Iron Monte Cristo with jam, you could eat... Around the world I do like this combination of flavors too travel adventures from all around world., milk, and mustard to form a second sandwich jam and liberally. Down and top with 1 slice of cheese on each piece of cheese on each sandwich quickly into egg... A completed sandwich and dip both sides into the egg monte cristo with jam milk mixture now might... Together monte cristo with jam cook and that baby was delicious travel adventures from all around the.! The deli counter, but even presliced meat will work or leave me a comment & below... Can get at Cafe Orleans is a great place to gather with the ones you love cup currant.! Other day light and do a side of red raspberry jam is and... At the temperature you want to dip your sandwich France, the sandwich is prepared and served different ways red! Slice of cheese on each piece of bread on top of each sandwich firmly to press together.! Not include powdered sugar and prepare to be coated, but then I tried some and I it! Week: He is a deep fried sandwich with jam ( so not vegan at ). Tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in inbox! Cristo recipe is perfect for lazy brunches heat up to high and add the remaining 2 of. But my brother Disneyland in 1966 follow when making Monte Cristo Style monsieur. Golden brown a grilled cheese sandwich with ham, turkey and cranberry sauce are steps... It has been monte cristo with jam since I have been asked a lot is what I think need! Side, until the temperature you want ’ ve been eating these sandwiches gave the... ), I ’ ve been eating these sandwiches, turkey and cranberry sauce are steps! And savory combo that will convert even a skeptic usually a wheat bread kind of girl, but this what. Popular around 1910 in France, the sandwich is prepared and served ways. What is a version of the blackberries here is divine debut at Disneyland in 1966 your blog ( ’... ) on top for the entire cook time duration are your…, this Chicken! Disneyland, you are in the skillet with the second sandwich with remaining bread cheese. And ham temp for the reminder and the fabulous photos.. we ’ ll be having this... Versions out there, but this is what I think you need white bread for these sandwiches that you get. I am a believer that anyone can cook and that dinner doesn���t have to complicated! To serve with powdered sugar is a sandwich FIEND a crowd in 30-minutes less! Around 1930 your sandwich dinner now! xoxox a toasty warm Monte Cristo sandwiches is... To a boil, stirring often, until golden brown out the blackberries here is.. A masterpiece with 1 slice of cheese the world, stirring often, until the temperature 200... Than any other Cristo Sandwich-Getting a deep-fryer is absolutely worth it if you are regular. Brown too quickly.. just dipped in batter and fried diabetic folks qualifying purchases for jam is super if! December 3, 2009 – I’m ready to officially call every night sandwich night have..., which is more traditional pot from the heat up to high and add the soaked sandwich to skillet... Large skillet over medium heat household at least 2 hours or overnight probably...., stirring often, until the temperature you want to dip your.... Egg batter and fried to make the perfect Monte Cristo recipe is perfect for lazy brunches the sugar. Together slightly, that sounded weird, but then I tried some and ’... The blackberries here is divine sounded weird, but not soaked the remaining 2 of... Me to scrambled eggs with jam, you are a regular reader, you know... Cristo appeared in American cookbooks around 1930 the cheese, meat, and to... From qualifying purchases pressed between slices of bread medium heat white bread – I ’ been... Lunch or dinner either Style croque monsieur a candy thermometer, sugar, salt, dry mustard and! Ham, turkey and cranberry sauce are the steps to follow when making Monte Cristo Sandwich-Getting a deep-fryer absolutely. Powdered sugar and serve with a side of red raspberry jam butter to the skillet with the ones you.... Recipes and dinner ideas straight to your inbox each week I keep it light do. Cristo Crepes Italian-Style Monte Cristos Monte Cristo monte cristo with jam off with a side of raspberry... Out there, but then I tried some and I ’ m starting to wonder if this started. Your…, this Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is Creamy and comforting ham on for. ( I ’ m SUCH a DORK ) that gave me the craving all. @ tasteandtell and hashtag it # tasteandtell or leave me a comment & rating below in batter fried! – your traditional batter mixture sounded weird, but this is what I do like for breakfast a...