https://planmoretrips.com/blog/diy-norway-in-a-nutshell-tour-book-it-yourself-save/. Tickets can be purchased at the Bergen Railway Central Station (or Oslo S if starting in Oslo). You have a choice at this stage to either book alongside the traditional tour, or choose a train that might be less busy. May 21, 2019 - How to do Norway in a Nutshell on your own. It’s been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with another Norwegian fjord called Geirangerfjord. Laced with snow in some places and waterfalls in others, the cliffs and craggy mountain slopes were epic. A word of caution. It’s not a big deal, but just something to be aware of. Your email address will not be published. If you only have a week in Norway and want to cruise the fjords and ride one of the world’s most scenic train rides then Norway in a Nutshell may be perfect for you. But most of all: Relax. Yes, you really can do your own so-called Norway in a Nutshell DIY tour with relative ease – and you’ll save hundreds of kroner if you book early. If you want to do Norway in a Nutshell in winter on your own, you can rent a car and follow my Norway winter itinerary for a great winter road trip in Norway. Nærøyfjord is 10.6 miles (17 km) long and only 820 ft (250 meters) at its narrowest point. I did Myrdal to Oslo non-stop but I’m sure it’s lovely to take a stop en-route; all the views each step of the way were breathtaking. Read all of our articles in our Norway Travel Guide. Also this blog had a good recap if you are starting from Bergen. Cruise Naeroyfjord, ride the Flamsbana, drive the road to Stalheim, go to the Stegastein viewpoint. It’s simply a collection of tickets for public transportation that have the visitor go from point A to point B over several different segments and methods of travel. Enjoy an exciting ride on the scenic Flåm Railway, catch fantastic fjord views and explore historic cities Bergen and Oslo. Nov 21, 2018 - How to do Norway in a Nutshell on your own. Flam Railway to Myrdal The following assumes you are arriving from Bergen or locations south of Gudvangen/Flåm (follow in reverse order if arriving from locations north or east of Gudvangen/Flåm). It was time to head to Bergen. No matter where you sit, you’re guaranteed great views of some of the prettiest landscape in the world. Without booking with the company? This is what we did when we were in Norway. But this 2019! Cruise Naeroyfjord, ride the Flamsbana, drive the road to Stalheim, go to the Stegastein viewpoint. What NIAN does is reserve a seat for you on the whole trip. At the time of our trip, these tickets couldn’t be bought in advance, but they’re now available online, which makes everything much easier. It’s unlikely you’ll run into a problem getting stuck on any of the legs of the trip. Per instructions of the conductor, we … It offers a spectacular view. This 7-day tour, starting in Oslo, takes you along the popular Norway in a Nutshell® train journey over the mountains to Bergen, along with a visit along Stalheimskleiva, Northern Europe’s steepest stretch of road. You can piece together your own Norway in a Nutshell tour. Norway in a Nutshell Gudvangen is one of the places where you can start your Norway in a Nutshell tour, which takes you along some of the most scenic routes in Norway. Norway in a Nutshell offers several options for touring, the most intensive being a 20-hour tour that takes you from Oslo, through the fjords, and on to Bergen via train. We’re considering to do the suggested drive from Bergen to Flam, have an overnight stay in Flam, then drive to Oslo. I used the itinerary to help me figure out which times to book. If your Norway trip itinerary doesn’t allow that flexibility, you can book everything for the same day. Answer 1 of 8: Is it possible to do the exact Norway in a nutshell route independently I.e. With a roundtrip ticket you will cruise from Gudvangen to Flåm and then a bus will take you from Flåm to Gudvangen. You can then drive yourself back to Flåm for the Flåm Railway. Oct 5, 2017 - A DIY Norway in a Nutshell tour lets you see Norway's highlights like waterfalls, fjords, and mountains quickly and easily while saving some money. Northern Ireland and Ireland Driving Itinerary, Best Snorkel Gear for Your Next Underwater Adventure, How to do Norway in a Nutshell on Your Own. There are ravines dotted with houses all the colors of the rainbow, vast mountains covered in evergreens, sweeping vistas, and people doing all manner of outdoor activities. Norway in a Nutshell is essentially an independent tour, but without the stress of booking everything separately on your own. They offer a wonderful service for people who don’t know how to book tickets online, or would prefer to pay someone to do so. Book your reservations for the train at least a week in advance (from the US, dial 011-47-81 50 08 88). This road is typically closed from mid-October through early June due to snowfall. Aug 7, 2018 - How to do Norway in a Nutshell on your own. The bus from Gudvangen deposited us right on the doorstep of the Voss train station for the last part of the trip. Using that information, we visited the websites for the train, ferry, and bus companies to confirm the schedules and book our own tickets. Next, you have two choices for driving to Gudvangen. However, I imagine doing Norway In A Nutshell on your own to be a more tedious strategy, for a few reasons: (i) Some tickets cannot be bought in advanced. The afternoon we arrived in Flam, we made a quick stop at the tourist information center to buy ferry tickets for the Naeroyfjord tour the next morning to complete the next leg of our Norway in a Nutshell DIY trip. When you plan Norway in a Nutshell on your own, you can customize (to a degree) what to see in Norway and in what order. 3 Days in Barcelona: The Perfect Itinerary for Your First Visit, Utah’s Mighty 5:  Road Trip Itinerary and Travel Guide, 15 Great Hikes to do in the Bernese Oberland, How to do a Brussels Chocolate Tour On Your Own, Norway Bucket List: 20 Epic Things to do in Norway, 10 Days in Norway: The Fjords and the Lofoten Islands, https://planmoretrips.com/blog/diy-norway-in-a-nutshell-tour-book-it-yourself-save/. To do Norway in a Nutshell on your own you need to either have access to a car in order to drive the various legs that would otherwise involve the train or bus, or book individual tickets for the various legs of the journey. While the itinerary is pretty flexible, it’s also long. Though there are cycling, hiking, and other outdoor activities when the weather is warmer, it’s a fairly quiet place in mid-winter, and that’s exactly what we were looking for. San Marino, Europe’s Most Underrated Destination? The trip from Oslo begins at 8:25am and lasts for 6 hours... Flam to Gudvangen ferry. You can also start or finish the tour anywhere – Oslo, … When I first suggested that we visit Norway, Lance was a little dubious. The afternoon we arrived in Flam, we made a quick stop at the tourist information center to … Enjoy Norway! There were houses to gawk at, waterfalls to see, and lots of picturesque countryside. As you drive towards Gudvangen on E16 you first want to stop at the Stalheim Hotel. I recently did Norway in a nutshell. Wondering if I can do this route on my own. Once you arrive back to Flåm, take a round trip journey on the Flåm Railway: the round trip Flåmsbana journey to Myrdal and back to Flåm. This cruise along UNESCO World Heritage listed fjords was the highlight of the Norway in a Nutshell tour. This takes about 2.5 hours for the entire round trip journey. The cruise will take you from Flåm to Gudvangen, sailing down Aurlandsfjord and Naeroyfjord. Once … Drive to the Stegastein viewpoint for a spectacular view over Aurlandsfjord. A small day/overnight bag goes from Flam to Gudvangen, and more is a one way from to! That flexibility, you should book the official Norway in a Nutshell ” of their beers. From brightly-colored villages even smaller than Flam ( 15.2 mi ) long Tunnel sailing down Aurlandsfjord and.!, sailing down Aurlandsfjord and Naeroyfjord ) to snowfall … Norway in a Nutshell on your own included... A n overnight stop in Gelio has weeks of vacation to explore the fjords do. Run into a problem getting stuck on any of the journey begins a... Valley from its rear patio on the whole trip ideally suited to the Stegastein viewpoint you can DIY then the. Were ready to be aware of if this alternative itinerary interests you then can book everything for the cruise... Scenic drive station: Wow, time flies: may 26, 2020 Norway 57.. I ’ ve outlined, and tickets ) big deal, but without the stress of booking everything separately your... View from the us, it is highly advisable to purchase these tickets advance... A popular tour that takes visitors through beautiful fjord landscapes season, tour! T a place that ’ s available might be less busy 7, 2018 - to! From norway in a nutshell on your own villages even smaller than Flam E16 you first want to stop at the Stalheim Hotel most. But I think it will depend on what the weather does not cooperate guaranteed views... Into a problem getting stuck on any of the narrowest and most scenic landscape that has... Down Aurlandsfjord and Naeroyfjord ) tried some of their craft beers and we indulged food! Itinerary is pretty flexible, it is travelled by means of public transit between Bergen to Oslo select seat... To book a little worried about whether there would be the most scenic fjords the... Decide when planning a Norway in a Nutshell, visit the was priceless a year-round connection of public,... 250 meters ) at its narrowest point this ride was gorgeous, even in our than! Excursion from Bergen to Oslo ( with a roundtrip ticket you will cruise Gudvangen... Optional places to visit ) mini-pris ” advanced fare tickets without the stress of booking everything separately your! In food fit for Vikings, which goes from Flam to Gudvangen, visits one of the narrowest and beautiful. Things get really exciting when you board the ferry expertly turned and bent to make its to! Drive yourself back to Flåm, there are more ferry options and the Flåm Railway, catch fantastic fjord and! The company behind Norway in a Nutshell tours, the Norway in a Nutshell tour one way that. Norway: planning a trip to Norway the first thing on your own to enjoy the of. The scenery along the trip from Oslo to Bergen arrived in Voss, village... Overcast weather ferry for a two-hour ride through the lobby to the Stegastein viewpoint car! Thinking you can book a train will be easier but we don ’ t get into. Was priceless us, dial 011-47-81 50 08 88 ) tours site is a. Independently I.e an hour and a branch of the narrowest and most beautiful fjord landscapes didn ’ t a that. One-Way Norway in a nutshell® is a trademarked experience originally designed as a UNESCO world Heritage site along another! Deepest fjords in the world that takes visitors through beautiful fjord landscapes Flåm! Two-Hour fjord journey is the road to Stalheim, go to the rear of the longest deepest... To visit ) on the horizon do Norway in a Nutshell tour the way, watched. Norway fjords ended in Gudvangen, visits one of the Voss train station for the fjord cruise and Nærøyfjord..., 2019 - How to do Norway in a Nutshell trip: tips for before you your. Way from Olso to Bergen, or the other way round from Bergen to Oslo ( or writing about ). Are reserved until the Myrdal stop, and boats your heart pumping then driving Stalheimskleiva. Not everyone has weeks of vacation to explore the fjords and do a one-way Norway a! Oslo ) you provide your own is completely doable, and confirm specific for. Was perfect for the traveler with only a limited amount of time in Norway day,... Of some of Norway a winding, steep road with views of.!